The chapel in Radovan
According to myth, on the position of Radovan’s chapel once existed a parish church, older than that in Margečan. With time the parish was ruined and the church became a branch of parish church in Margečan.
Nevertheless, this myth is not in total correspondence with the truth. According to historical documents, on the place of today’s chapel once was a medieval parish church St. Lovro. Parish in Lovrečan cased to exist, and then church became regional chapel of Margečan´s parish. Church clerks placed chapel in the village Lovrečan, probably because Lovrečan was a bigger place then Radovan, and even today Lovrečan lies almost to the chapel. The first time the chapel was mentioned was in a document from 1638. The church clerk archdeacon Oškoci recorded that the chapel was built with arced shrine and in middle of the chapel was a wooden painted tabulate. In it were three altars. A chancel was wooden and old. The chapel had high stone belfry with one bell. Around the chapel was a churchyard.
Between 1760 and 1765, the old chapel was demolished and the new one was built. During the demolition a big discovery was made. In walls of the old chapel was walled up a statue of Blessed Virgin Maria. On that place a new chapel was built dedicated to the Blessed Virgin. In the document from 1771 stands that the old chapel of St. Lovro wasn’t destroyed completely, and that the remnants of it were used for building of a new chapel. The chapel of St. Ane was built later on so its ground plan is in the shape of cross
Appearance of the current church dates back to 19 century. In the church, exist few altars from the same time as those in shrine, it also has parts of older wall paintings with fragmented display of Insinuation, meeting of Maria and Elizabeth, miracles of the Mother of Jesus Christ and very beautiful wooden altar from 18 century decorated by numerous figurines.
The main, architectonically shaped, church altar situated under the shrine arch painted as the other parts of church in 19 century with intimation of Marie was made of wood with gilded surface. The Greatness, the complexity of architectonical structure, then figurines and painting ornaments of this altar show that they were done by skillful artists educated in fine arts.
Very interesting and valuable is a wooden statue of Maria with Jesus found in a retable niche (in a wall). It is a gothic sculpture, work of an unknown artist from the beginning of the 15 century. Artists engaged in studying the history of fine arts call sculptures like this one “beautiful gothic madonnas”. A look from distance and the position of an arm shows that is a statue of Mother of Jesus Christ.
On the church chancel exists a beautiful organ with one keyboard, built in style of rococo. A great master for organs Simon Ottonischer built it in 1777. Organs are valuable monuments.